Early Childhood Education Technology
The Early Childhood Education Technology program provides preparation for a professional career in Early Childhood Education spanning a variety of career options. This discipline includes classroom instruction, supervised laboratory experiences, and work-based learning experiences. Students will develop competencies that enable them to provide services, teach, and guide young children in various early childhood professions.
The Early Childhood Education Technology curriculum is a two-year discipline that requires a minimum of 64 semester hours of course work. These minimum course requirements are 17 semester hours of general education and 47 semester hours of Early Childhood Education courses. Successful completion of the Early Childhood Education Technology curriculum results in the student receiving an Associate in Applied Science degree. This curriculum meets the National Association for the Education of Young Children Standards for Early Childhood Professional Preparation, the Mississippi Department of Education Early Learning Standards and Guidelines for Pre-Kindergarten and the Mississippi Early Learning Standards and Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers. The content for the Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential is embedded in the ECET coursework. In addition, Jones College offers the opportunity for Early Childhood Education Technology students to meet the qualifications of a Child Care Director required by the Mississippi State Department of Health. A child care director shall be at least 21 years of age and shall have a minimum of a two-year associate degree from an accredited community or junior college in child development technology which must include a minimum of 480 hours of practical training, supervised by college instructors, in a college operated child care learning laboratory. The Early Childhood Education Technology program has articulation agreements with selected accredited colleges and universities. Therefore, many of the academic and early childhood credits earned are transferable. This offers a student the opportunity to pursue a higher degree in an Early Childhood Education related field at one of the selected accredited colleges or universities. Students must contact the college of their choice annually for transfer credit approval.
Four Semester (Fall, Spring, Fall, Spring)
Career Pathway Certificate
Associate in Applied Science
- Meet all general requirements for admission to Jones College according to the current catalog.
- Be at least 18 years of age by September 1 of the year of enrollment.
- Interview with the Early Childhood Program Coordinator/Advisor to begin the application process for admission into the Early Childhood Program.
- Submit a current Mississippi Department of Health Form #121 Certificate of Immunization Compliance
- Submit to a drug test conducted by a certified laboratory approved by the college. The student is charged a fee for processing.
- Submit fingerprints (completed by a JC representative) for processing to the Mississippi Department of Health for a Criminal History Record Check. The student is charged a fee for processing.
- Submit a completed Child Abuse Registry Check form to the ECET program. The ECET program will submit the form to the Mississippi Department of Human Services for processing.
*****Continued enrollment in the ECET program will depend upon receipt of a clear Criminal History Records Check and clear Child Abuse Registry Check. Continued enrollment will also depend upon updating personal record requirements as necessary.
To apply for admission to the ECET program, make an appointment with the Early Childhood Program Coordinator/Advisor.
Failure to submit all information or complete all requirements will void the application and the student will not be enrolled in the program.
Readmission to Program
Students who withdraw from the ECET program for any reason and wish to be readmitted must reapply to the program and meet current program admission requirements.
ECET Program Coordinator/Advisor, Brooke Knight. Email your request to email@example.com or call 601-477-4119.